Learning English with a Native Speaker in Japan
Textbooks help English students learn structures, words, and sometimes even a bit of natural spoken language. And movies, books, and music certainly provide a creative way to learn some natural english with natural rhythms and sounds. But just like most things in life, learning by doing is often the best method, especially once you've reached a cerain level of understanding. And the one-to-one instruction from a private English teacher truly is the best way to overcome language blocks, progress to new levels, and learn real life English skills.
For Japanese students in particular, having a private English insturctor is invaluable. After years of instruction from Japanese teachers and little or no contact with English speaking foreigners, most Japanese students have no knowledge of the subtle aspects of the language or the cultural facets that intermingle with the language. While it may seem intimidating to reach the stage of competency to achieve your goals, there are plenty of tried and tested tips and methods that really work when used regularly. Hopefully this short guide will get you students ready to undertake your studies and you teachers some refreshing on private lesson techniques and helpful assistance on where you can have your lessons.
Why a Private Teacher
How to find a private teacher
What the student needs to do(bring to the lesson)
How to conduct private lessons
Where to study (our great Locations guide)
1. Personal Information
You can visit our web site without providing us with any personal information. However, there are instances where we must have your personal information in order for us to grant you access to our protected and secured areas. This information may include registration data (your name, address, email address, phone number, etc.), information request data and response data ("User Information").
2. Your Ability to Change Your Account Information
You can edit your Swikee Membership Information at any time from the Login/Logged In menu item.
You can unsubscribe by sending us an email: email@example.com.
You can unsubscribe from the newsletters by sending us an email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Disclosure of User Information
Swikee does not sell, trade or transfer User Information to third parties. However, we may share user information with our business partners for marketing, advertising or product/service offering purposes. For example, we provide user information to our service providers for direct emailing of our newsletters, online surveys or notifications on Swikee offerings to our viewers. We also disclose user information if: we have your consent; we need to share it in order to provide you with the products and/or services you requested; we respond to a court order or
Swikee uses "cookies". A cookie is a small data file that a web site can transfer to a visitor's hard drive to keep records of the visits to such site. A cookie contains information such as your username and password that helps us recognize the pages you have visited and thus improve future visits, but the only personal information a cookie can contain is the information that you provide yourself. A cookie cannot read data off of your hard drive or read cookie files created by other sites. Information stored in cookies may be encrypted. However, we do not store your credit card number in cookies. If you prefer not to accept a cookie, you can set your web browser to warn you before accepting cookies or you can refuse all cookies by turning them off in your web browser.
5 . Security
The security of the User Information is important to Swikee. Swikee is concerned with the security of your user information and is committed to taking all necessary steps to protect it from unauthorized access. To that end, we put in place the appropriate physical, electronic and managerial policies and procedures to secure your personal user information. We limit access to personal information about you only to employees who reasonably need to come into contact with that information to provide products or services to you or in order to do their jobs. We also continue to implement procedures to maintain accurate, complete and current User Information. Swikee collects and transmits information which is thought to need protection using the industry standard cryptographic technology SSL (Secure Socket Layer).
6. External Links
Swikee sometimes provides links to other third party web sites. Even if the third party is affiliated with Swikee through a business partnership or otherwise, Swikee is not responsible for the privacy policies or practices or the content of such external links. These links are provided to you for convenience purposes only and you access them at your own risk.
If you have questions regarding our Privacy Statement, please contact Swikee via our Contact Us page.
Terms of Service
Please read our Terms of Service before using our service. By continuing to use Swikee, you agree to abide by the following conditions of this agreement.
1. By using this service, you agree to be bound by all of the terms of this User Agreement. We reserve the right to change the terms of this Terms of Service or to modify any features of this service at any time. By registering for our service and/or continuing to use our service after the posting of notices regarding such changes, you agree to be bound by such changes. Any and all information published to Swikee by you is for our internal use only. It is not sold to any third parties.
2. Swikee reserves the right to terminate your membership for any reason. Swikee operates as a service for adults only. To become a member you must be at least 18 years old. If you are a student or teacher under the age of 18, then your parents or legal guardians must register and be the sole operator of the account to facilitate in finding a teacher or student for you.
3. As an adult you are solely responsible for any information contained in your profile and all of your communications with other Swikee members. Members are both students and teachers. Whatever information you choose to publish, Swikee does not, nor can it practically, monitor or control the use made of its site by members. Accordingly you agree to accept sole responsibility for the legality of your actions under all applicable laws. Each other member is also bound by this Terms of Service and agrees to accept sole responsibility for the legality of his or her actions under their applicable laws. Swikee accepts no responsibility for the legality of the actions of any of its members.
4. Swikee does not check the validity of each of its member’s qualifications or background. Swikee does not confirm nor deny validity of the information associated with each person. Swikee is not responsible for the accuracy or legitimacy of the information provided by registered teachers or students. By using the Swikee website, you acknowledge this and hereby release Swikee from any claims, demands and damages (actual and consequential) of every kind and nature, known and unknown, suspected and unsuspected, disclosed and undisclosed, arising out of any meeting between two or more members.
5. You will not use our site to post or transmit offensive materials including offensive language or sexually explicit materials (including photographs). It is a violation of the rules to use any information obtained from this service to harass, abuse, or harm another person.
6. You will not harass others by continuing to attempt or communicate with someone who has clearly asked you to cease communication. You are responsible for ensuring that your behavior with other members is lawful and complies with all applicable laws. To the extent that you do not (or another member does not) comply with all applicable laws or any clause of this User Agreement, you release and discharge
Swikee from all rights, claims, actions, suits, proceedings and claims which, but for this clause, you may have had against Swikee.
7. Students and teachers agree that any payment for the teachers' services are to be conducted in person between the two parties. Swikee is not responsible for collecting and/or distributing payment from a student to a teacher. Should a student fail to pay a teacher, then it is that teacher’s responsibility to resolve the dispute and not the responsibility of Swikee.
8. Teachers understand that Swikee is not responsible for any tax payments and it is the responsibility of each teacher to file his/her own account for taxation purposes.
9. It reserves the right to suspend or terminate any member who violates these terms and conditions, including, without limitation, the case where a member is suspected of having, or is found (by conviction or otherwise) to have engaged in any fraudulent or other criminal activity in connection with our service, or at any other time, with or without cause, at Swikee’s absolute discretion. Swikee will have no liability to you if it suspends or terminates your account for any reason. You waive all rights you may have had against Swikee in respect of such conduct.
10. In the case of profiles, Swikee may hide the profile if it is judged offensive until the offensive portion is amended. Without limiting any other remedies, Swikee may remove all or part of a profile posted to its site…
(a) if Swikee receives a direction, demand or request to do so from any government department or agency.
(b) at any other time, with or without cause, in Swikee's absolute discretion - and Swikee will have no liability to you if it removes all or part of a profile for any reason, and you waive all rights you may have had against Swikee in respect of such conduct.
11. Swikee is not responsible for any information or material posted or
transmitted via the service.
12. Swikee is not responsible for ensuring that members follow the terms and conditions notwithstanding these terms and conditions outline behavior that is unacceptable on the service.
13. Swikee has the right to amend the terms and conditions at any time by posting the amended terms on its site. You (and all other members) will be bound by the amended terms from that time and this Terms of Service may not be otherwise amended.
14. Under no circumstances is Swikee liable to a member for any incidental consequential or indirect damages arising out of the use of the Swikee service. In addition, Swikee disclaims all liability to the full extent permitted by law, regardless of the form of action, for the acts or omissions of other members or users. Nevertheless, nothing in this User Agreement is intended to limit or exclude any liability on the part of Swikee where and to the extent that applicable law prohibits such exclusion or limitation. If you do not notify Swikee within 12 months of the relevant conduct in respect of which the rights, actions, suits, proceedings or claims have arisen, then, to the extent permitted by law, you agree that you release and discharge Swikee from all rights, actions, suits, proceedings and claims which, but for this clause,
you may have had against Swikee.
15. Swikee discloses to you that there are risks of dealing with Internet users based in any countries, and with underage persons or people acting under false pretense or with some other criminal purpose.
16. User authentication on the Internet is difficult. Accordingly, Swikee cannot and does not confirm that each member or user is who he or she claims to be. Therefore, you must be careful in dealing with other members or users.
17. Because Swikee does not and cannot be involved in any member to member communications and activities, in the event that you have a conflict with a member, to the extent permitted by law, you hereby release Swikee from any claims, demands and damages (actual and consequential) of every kind and nature, known and unknown, suspected and unsuspected, disclosed and undisclosed, arising out of or in any way connected with any such conflict.
18. You are solely responsible for the information provided by you ("Your Information"), and Swikee acts as a passive conduit for the online distribution and publication of your information. However, Swikee may take any action with respect to your information that it deems necessary or appropriate at its sole discretion. For example, if Swikee believes your information may create any kind of liability for us, Swikee may alter or remove all or part of your information.
19. Both teachers and students agree to the exposure of his/her personal information which will all be laid out on your profile. All theinformation you enter on the site during the registration process and during editing of your profile thereafter, will be viewable on the Internet, except your full name, address, telephone number and email address. Your information will be treated as non-confidential and non-proprietary.
20. You must ensure that Your Information:
(a) is not defamatory, libelous, unlawfully threatening or unlawfully harassing;
(b) is not obscene and does not contain child pornography.
21. Students are obligated to pay a fee for the use of this service. Even if a teacher is not successfully found or decides not to teach the student, Swikee has no obligation in any circumstances to refund any money to the payee.
22. You are entirely responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of any password and account number provided by Swikee for accessing the site, and you are fully responsible for all activities that occur under your password or account. You agree to immediately notify Swikee of any unauthorized use of your password or account or any other breach of security. Swikee will not be liable for any loss that you may incur as a result of someone else using your password or account either with or without your knowledge. You could be held liable for losses incurred by Swikee or another party due to someone else using your account or password. You may not use anyone else’s account at any time, without the permission of the account holder.
23. Swikee cannot guarantee the protection or privacy of any information stored on, or sent to or from its system over the Internet. Swikee is not responsible for the protection of teachers' and students' data and cannot guarantee the security and accuracy of its back-up systems. Both teacher and student are responsible for any unauthorized disclosure of their data, and are responsible for his/her private ID and account.
Ownership of Material: The Information from this Site may not be copied, reproduced, modified, published, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or re-distributed in any way without prior written permission from Swikee. Except as expressly provided herein, Swikee and its suppliers do not grant any express or implied right to you under any patents, copyrights, trademarks, or trade secret information. Other rights may be granted to you by Swikee in writing or incorporated elsewhere in the Information.
Disclaimer: THE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY OF ANY KIND INCLUDING WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, NON-INFRINGEMENT OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY, OR FITNESS FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE. IN NO EVENT SHALL Swikee OR ITS SUPPLIERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF PROFITS, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, OR LOSS OF INFORMATION) ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF, OR INABILITY TO USE THE MATERIALS, EVEN IF Swikee HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. BECAUSE SOME JURISDICTIONS PROHIBIT THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, THE ABOVE LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.